Things You will Never do in Heaven

 


An Afterlife Article Series

 

Introduction

Since the beginning of this year (2022), we’ve been looking at a variety of subjects that has to do with the afterlife. We looked at “Bound for Eternity” in which we show that there is an afterlife and what takes place on the way. We also looked at the Judgment Day and what you won’t find there.

In this series of articles, we’ll look at Heaven, itself, and the things that you won’t do anymore.

 

I’m Not Comfortable with this Title

This series of articles is from a sermon I originally preached in 2012. One of the reasons I turn sermons into articles is to expand each point and go into more depth as an independent subject.

When I set up for preaching the lesson, I hooked up my laptop to the church’s projector so everyone can see my PowerPoint program as I usually will put scripture up on the screen to point out specific verses.

One of our members, at that time, came up to me, before the service, when she saw the title of my lesson, and told me that she wasn’t comfortable with the title. Those who know me, know that I pick titles or lessons which seem controversial, at first, but once the lesson unfolds, they realize that it’s not controversial at all. I do this intentionally, sometimes, as an attention getter.

In her mind, though, I believe that she thinks that there are no limitations to what can be done in Heaven. Does that include sin? I’m sure she wasn’t thinking that way but there are some things you will never do in Heaven ever again.

 

Not of This World

In John 8:23 Jesus said, “You are from beneath; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world.” As Christians, we are to have the same mindset. The apostle Peter speaks of this in 1 Peter 2:11-12, Beloved, I beg you as sojourners and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts which war against the soul, having your conduct honorable among the Gentiles, that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may, by your good works which they observe, glorify God in the day of visitation.

Basically, what Peter is saying is that we are just passing through this mortal life on our way to Heaven. We are not to get too comfortable in this world (2 Cor. 6:17), as we are looking for our eternal rest (Heb. 4:9). We know this world is temporary (2 Pet. 3:10) and that things that we do in the here and now, won’t be done in the afterlife.

 

The Things We Won’t Do Again

Just to pacify your mind, now, here is the list that we will be looking at, in depth, in the coming weeks:

1)   Turn on a light switch

2)   Locked your doors

3)   Visited a sick person

4)   Took some medicine

5)   Saw an old person

6)   Drove past a cemetery

7)   Shed a tear

8)   Faced a temptation

As I said, these are simple, everyday things that you do now, but you will never do again in heaven. We’ll explain each one, in detail, and why this is a good thing!

 

Conclusion

As the apostle Paul stated in Philippians 3:20, For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ. Heaven is our home, and we should be eager to want to be there. Earlier, Paul said, For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain. But if I live on in the flesh, this will mean fruit from my labor; yet what I shall choose I cannot tell. For I am hard pressed between the two, having a desire to depart and be with Christ, which is far better (Philippians 1:21-23).

We continue on in this life as it is for the benefit of mankind that we do the Will of the Father (Mt. 7:21), lead more people to the truth, and help them get to heaven as well. If you need assistance in your walk with God, or need help in starting, please comment below.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There are No Material Possessions

Who Wrote the Bible?

The Death of Marriage