Yes, I’m Divorced. No, I’m Not Single



Introduction

I wrote this article about 4 years ago (for my writer’s blog) in response to something that happened to me at work. It’s one of those things that usually happens when you’re divorced and co-workers want to meddle and fix you up with someone. The title may seem unusually to you but I hope by the end of this article, you’ll have a better understanding.


Looking for a girlfriend

Shortly after I moved out to Arizona, I desired to have a girlfriend. Since I was starting my life over, so to speak, I thought having a girlfriend would be the icing on the cake. I joined a video dating service and, before I knew it, got locked into contract which I couldn’t escape. I regretted it almost immediately, but attempted to try it out anyway.

Then I met Pam. She was a friend of some people whom I met through the message boards on computer. This was before the internet became all the rage. Pam seemed like the perfect girl: smart, outgoing, and very attractive. However, since I was linked to this dating service, I pushed her away and so she ended up with my best friend. In the end, it turned out to be the best thing for me, as she had some personal issues and she soon disappeared from our lives.

I was once told then when you stop looking for that special someone, they will find you. So I took that to heart and it worked! That’s when I met my wife who happened to work in the same place as me.


Down the aisle and beyond

My wife and I were married in 1997 and, from there, our lives together took off. In that same year we invested in a house and got pregnant (she got pregnant and I got the cravings). Our first child was born in 1998 and soon joined by the second in 2000. It seemed that life was great and the future was bright.

17 years later, in May of 2014, my wife told me that she wanted a divorced and by the end of the month we had gone our separate ways. She took the kids and got a smaller house, I found a one-bedroom apartment which, later, I referred to as a Marital Halfway House. The divorce was finalized in October and with it came the child support payments.

I know that this doesn’t explain the reason for the divorce, nor the things leading up to it, but the purpose of the article is forthcoming.



What does the Bible say?

Since I became a Christian in 2001, I try to live my life according to scripture and hoped that my family would follow. My wife was a confirmed atheist and my children, though they attended services with me when they were younger, decided to stay home with Mommy as well.

I do believe that my faith in God had a part in our getting a divorce as she didn’t seem too happy when I would try to discuss the bible with her or would be down at the church building every night of the week when we had our (twice annual) gospel meeting.

    The scripture is very clear in regards to divorce in that there is one, and ONLY one, reason for which it is allow. Jesus states in Matthew 19:9, “And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery.”


In layman’s terms this is what’s known as the extra martial affair. Since the reason my wife wanted a divorce was not because I cheated on her, nor her on me, this is what’s known as an unscriptural divorce. And because of this I started to freak out thinking that I just eliminated my possibility of going to Heaven.

But after talking to our preacher, I realized that this was not the case. We were studying 1 Corinthians 7 in class and it discusses a bit about separation between man and wife. Here are verses 10 and 11, Now to the married I command, yet not I but the Lord: A wife is not to depart from her husband. But even if she does depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband. And a husband is not to divorce his wife. And, of course, this works in reverse as well. Simply put, I have to stay unmarried or be reconciled to my wife. She had already stated that there was no chance of being reconciled.



Matchmaker, matchmaker LEAVE ME ALONE!

This then brings me to the event that took place on July 30, 2015. One of my co-workers came up to me and she said, “You know you should ask (other co-worker) out on a date.” Then she added this phrase, “You’re lonely and she’s lonely.” I looked at her and said, “I’m lonely?” Being alone and being lonely are two different things. I was alone and, to be honest, I was enjoying it.

Sooner or later friends, family, and/or co-workers want to share their input with your personal life. Play matchmaker, if you will, because they think they know what’s best for you. Now I know she (my matchmaking co-worker) meant well when she made this suggestion and yes, the woman in question and I did have a lot in common, but I don’t need to start another relationship of any kind outside of being just a friend.

 
Forever Divorced

Since my separation and divorce, my life has improved greatly as far as I’m concerned. Although I have a lot less money because of child support and I do sometimes miss the physical contact, there are other advantages.

I have brought myself closer to God by studying His word more often than before. As James writes in the beginning of Jas. 4:8, “Draw near to God and He will draw near to you…” I have become more involved in my local congregation. Without all of the nattering of three voices telling me what to do, I am able to serve God and the congregation the I need to for our spiritual edification.

I have taught bible class and preached more lessons which might have been impossible in a household of family.

I have become what the scripture describes as a Spiritual Eunuch. Jesus discusses this in latter part of Mt. 19:12, “…and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake.” Essentially, this refers to those who chose not to marry; the Apostle Paul is a perfect example. It also includes those, like me, who are unscripturally divorced.


Conclusion

Malachi 2:16 states that God hates divorce. That is a statement that will never change. Although he allows one exception (Mt. 19:9), he’d prefer the couple to work out their differences before considering divorce.

As part of the marriage vows, ‘til death do us part’ is a legitimate and serious statement. I cannot scripturally remarry until after my ex-wife passes away. Until that time, I will continue to embrace the word of God and serve Him in the best possible way.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There are No Material Possessions

Who Wrote the Bible?

The Death of Marriage