Who Am I?

 


Series Introduction

 

Introduction

Have you ever looked at yourself in the mirror and asked the question, “Who am I?” You have a name, family, ethnic background, etc. But do you really know who you are? We’ll look at four aspects to answer this question, and I’ll be using myself as the example.

 

I Thought I knew

As children, adults always ask the question, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” For most of us, our answer changes year by year. I, personally, wanted to be a professional baseball player but I don’t really like sports.

In College, I wanted to be a computer programmer but I wasn’t very good at math; not to mention that I flunked out in two classes that were part of my major.

While in college, I took an aptitude test that I should be in the television industry. I took the courses and then got a job with a local TV station, but it didn’t pan out in the long run.

When I became a Christian in September 2001, that was when I realized who I was. It all came together and now the rest of my life is fleshed out from this.

 

The Four Aspects of Who I am

Naturally, there are many more but for this series, I feel that four will get the point across. We’ll look at each aspect, more in depth, in the coming weeks.

Made in the Image of GodFirst and foremost, all of us are made in the image of God, Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them (Genesis 1:26-27). This has nothing to do with our physical nature but, rather, the spiritual nature. God is a spirit being (Jn. 4:24) and a spirit lives within all of us.

 

    The Object of God’s LoveGod loves each and every one of us so much that He sent His son to Earth to walk and live among us. “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.” (John 3:16) John wrote, earlier, And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth (John 1:14). Paul confirms God’s love for us, But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us (Romans 5:8). God allowed His son to go to the cross so that we don’t have to experience the ultimate fate; eternity in Hell.

 

    Subject to God’s LawBut God’s love is conditional in that we have to be obedient to the faith. Jesus said, “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven (Matthew 7:21). He doesn’t love us if we remain sinners. All through history, in the Old Testament, we see the same message to His people as delivered by the prophets. That message is, Repent of your sins!

Paul writes, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth (1 Timothy 2:4). This doesn’t say that all men will be saved, but you must meet His conditions, which is following His word.

 

    A Christian (Child of God)Being obedient to The Father is what sets you on the path of becoming a Christian. With confession, repentance, and baptism, you are then a child of God and added to His church. Luke writes, Then Peter said to them,Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit” …Then those who gladly received his word were baptized; and that day about three thousand souls were added to them …praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved. (Acts 2:38, 41, 47)

 


Conclusion

If you’re not sure who you are, then start by reading the scriptures. God’s book is for everyone who wants to know who they are. If you need any help in studying, feel free to comment below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There are No Material Possessions

Who Wrote the Bible?

The Death of Marriage