Is He Preaching about Me?

 



 

Introduction

I’ve been a Christian for more than 20 years. I’ve heard hundreds of sermons preached by dozens of preachers. And it’s not just at the local congregation. I’ve had CDs and DVDs sent to me upon request, I’ve gone to other congregations, and I’ve listened to lessons on social media.

I can’t say that I’ve heard every subject preached, but I’ve heard enough to get a solid understanding of what the bible teaches and what it does not. There are times when I hear a lesson that I really need to hear and, to me, that good. But for others, they think it’s a personal attack on who they are.

 

Topical Sermons

One of my favorite type of sermons to hear, and to preach myself, are topical sermons. Where you take a general subject like: Baptism, Heaven, Judgment Day, Salvation, etc. and the lesson deals with various aspects of the subject covering a wide amount of bible.

Sometimes a preacher will deal with a subject that has something that is going on in your life. For example, the subject of divorce after your spouse divorces you. This is not a personal attack on you; which some people feel that way, but something you will take special notice of since you are now a part of that category.

 

He Might as well have Called My Name

Preachers do, from time to time, write a sermon with a person in mind as it’s a lesson that they need to hear. The problem, though, is that there is no guarantee that the individual will show up for that particular service. But the lesson is preached anyway as all can benefit from it.

On the flip side, a preacher will give a lesson (with no one in mind) but an individual will hear it and take offense thinking that they are preaching it about them. If you take offense, chances are you’re not living a godly life and you need to change.

The apostle Paul, in his second letter to the church in Corinth, wrote, Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you? --unless indeed you are disqualified. (2 Corinthians 13:5).

Instead of being offended, stop a moment and take stock of your life. Were you offended because they said something wrong? Or were you offended because you’re not living right, and the lesson hit close to home in your situation. I’ll admit I’ve heard several lessons that seemed personal, and I realized it wasn’t just me but others, as well, who felt the same way. It's times like this that we need to change our lives.


Don’t be offended but, appreciate that you’ve heard this particular lesson at this particular time and change your life now while you still can. As Jesus said in John 9:4, “I must work the works of Him who sent Me while it is day; the night is coming when no one can work.” Take the opportunity to change now, while you can. There will come a time when you won’t be able to anymore. Make sure you know which side you are on when that moment arrives.

 

Conclusion

Paul stated in 2 Corinthians 6:2, For He says: “In an acceptable time I have heard you, And in the day of salvation I have helped you.” Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. If you are a struggling Christian, change now while you still can. One of the best ways to do this is to reach out to your brethren for assistance. You don’t have to do this alone; we are here to help.

Remember what Jesus said in (Luke 9:62) But Jesus said to him, “No one, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.” Don’t look back but look ahead!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

There are No Material Possessions

Who Wrote the Bible?

The Death of Marriage