Sin is not hereditary, but mischief…

 


(Originally written November 2002)

(Edited April 2022)

 

Introduction

Most parents of children, under five-years-old, know that no matter how you teach them about right and wrong, bad and good, and other things, that they always find a way to get themselves into trouble. Some things could be classified as basic human instinct; curiosity mostly. But there are traits a child shows that can stem back to the parent themselves. How do we know? Why grandparents of course! Too many times I’ve talk to my mother about the way my daughters act and she’d always comment that I use to act the exact same way. It’s like revenge for them to see their children struggle with being parents themselves. Sometimes it can be a good thing to know that your children are like you, for if you know the things you did, you might anticipate the things they do. 

 

Children and Sin

One thing your children can’t inherit from their parents is sin. In Ezekiel 18:20, the prophet writes, “The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not bear the guilt of the father, nor the father bear the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself.”

The Israelites were using the excuse of committing sin based on the fact that their parents were sinners. They simply wanted to say that they had no choice in the matter. But, in fact, they did have a choice and chose not to follow God’s word. This is why they were carried off into captivity for 70 years; that and their constant use of idolatry.

Since they had a choice, this eliminates the concept of original sin and the need for children to be baptized at such an early age. 

Children who don’t know how to read cannot begin to understand the meaning of sin nor the reason Jesus died on the cross. As a former member of a denominational church, I recall the passage the “pastor” used to validate infant baptism. In Luke 18:15-17, it says, Then they also brought infants to Him that He might touch them; but when the disciples saw it, they rebuked them. But Jesus called them to Him and said, "Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of God. “Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it.”

Sounds fairly convincing, doesn’t it? However, Matthew 18:3 tell us what Jesus meant, “Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.”

Turn means repent. Again, children cannot sin, therefore they have an innocence, which God is looking for in His children. We know that Adam and Eve introduced sin into this world but we don’t bear their sins. We bear our own sins and are forgiven by the blood of Jesus Christ (1 John 1:7; Rev. 1:5; Eph.1:7). 

Here’s further proof, in 1 Corinthians 15:21-22, the apostle Paul writes, For since by man came death, by Man also came the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive.


Testing this Theory

Earlier this year (2002), I prepared a lesson on baptism and, in the interest of fairness to infant baptism, I spoke with both of my daughters and asked them three questions: 1) Do you believe Jesus Christ is Lord? 2) Do you believe Jesus died for your sins?  3) Do you admit you are a sinner? 

My youngest daughter, Erika (1½ years), had more interest in finding her stuffed animal than wanting to listen to what I had to say. With my oldest daughter, Sara (3 years) I only got to the first question. She answered “No” about Jesus being Lord and proceeded to tell me something about God and a bandage. I’m still looking for that parable.

This is what Jesus meant by, “become as little children”. I observed my children and their only interests are when is snack time and what time does their favorite television program come on. There are many a day when I think life would be so much better if all I had to concern myself with is snack time and the T.V.

 

Belief and Repentance are Necessary

In Mark 16:16 Jesus said, “He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.” If children cannot read this, and understand it to believe, then how can they be baptized? In Acts 2:38, Peter said, (Acts 2:38) "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. If children are free from sin, then how can they repent and be baptized?

 


Conclusion

Our children inherit a lot of things from their parents but sin is not one of them. Since becoming a grandfather, in 2019, I can fully understand my parents’ understanding of me becoming a parent. Seeing my own daughter struggle, with parenthood, made me appreciate my own parents all the more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There are No Material Possessions

Who Wrote the Bible?

The Death of Marriage