This is My Beloved Son


Introduction

Throughout Jesus’ ministry he was challenged by the Pharisees to show them a sign of who he really was; so that they might believe him. But he had been showing signs to prove that he was indeed deity.

But on two separate occasions he was validated by The Father himself. If that’s not proof enough, the I don’t know what is. Let’s look at two events in which God gave validation to his son.




At His Baptism

In Matthew chapter 3, it tells the account of Jesus and his Baptism. Most don’t understand why he was baptized if he led a sinless life. His reasoning was to fulfill all righteousness (vs. 15). It also served as an example to Christians; to follow in His steps and have our sins washed away (Mk. 16:16).

The verification of Jesus comes in verse 17, And suddenly a voice came from heaven, saying, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.” Those around to witness His baptism most likely heard this statement and verified to them as to who he really was.




image found at Rosarybay.com




At His Transfiguration

In Matthew 17 is the account of the transfiguration of Jesus. We’ll look at this event specifically in a later article, but I want to draw you’re attention to verse 5, While he was still speaking, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them; and suddenly a voice came out of the cloud, saying, "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. Hear Him!" Once again, God vouched for His Son and told them to ‘Hear Him’. This, of course, gives witness to Jesus as the source of authority (Matt. 28:18) in the new dispensation.












What about Us?

To have God vouch for us and for our character would be a great asset to our lives; but he doesn’t do any such thing. That is to say, that there won’t be a voice booming from the heavens declaring you as a beloved son or daughter.

We do, however, know that we are pleasing in His eyes if we follow his commands given to us throughout scripture. In John 10:14-15 Jesus says, "I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own. "As the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep. Both Jesus and God know who their followers are and are pleased by the life that they lead because they lead it according to them and the examples given in the scriptures (1 Pet. 2:21).





Conclusion

On the day of Judgement, one can hope that Jesus will look upon us and say, “Well done, good and faithful servant…Enter into the joy of your lord.” (Mt. 25:21,23). Until that time, we must continue in the faith and be pleasing to Him by helping others become one of his own.

If you have questions or comments concerning what you need to do or what you haven’t done yet, please feel free to mention in the comments section or contact me via this blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There are No Material Possessions

Who Wrote the Bible?

The Death of Marriage