Starting Over




(To the Non-Christian)

Introduction

        The following is a 200-word story I wrote from the inspiration title of “Clean Slate”:

New Year, New You



December 31, 2014



Harry Sorenson said goodbye to his family.

“Goodbye Rachel, you’ve been good to me all year. Take care of little Mikey and tell him all about me when I’m gone.”

            “I wish it didn’t have to end this way,” said Rachel as she wiped away a tear.

            “It’s what Dr. Martinson wants; I have to abide by it.”

            “Goodbye then,” she said.



December 31, 2015



            “Goodbye Grace, I know we didn’t get along well this year but I’m glad to have known you.”

            “It’s better this way,” said Grace, “otherwise I would have divorced you. Goodbye Harry.”



December 31, 2016



Harry was crying as he said goodbye.

            “Michelle, you’re the best wife I ever had. Take care of Ben and Susan for me.’

            “I’ll miss you so much Harry!”

            “Don’t go Daddy,” said Ben.

            “I’m sorry, but I have to. Remember me! Goodbye!”



January 1, 2017



Harry woke up in a strange bed just as man in a white coat entered.

            “Ah good morning, Harry, I’m Dr. Martinson.”

            “You said, Harry. Is that my name?”

            “It is. You’re Harry Sorenson. Now get up, we have a lot to do and only a year to do it in.



There are times in our life when we wish we could start our lives over as Harry did; have a clean slate as it were. There is a way to do this from a spiritual standpoint. An opportunity to get a new beginning and start over.



The Invitation of Jesus

        In Mt. 11:28-30 Jesus said, “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." This is an open invitation by Jesus to everyone regardless of ethnicity, sex, or social status. Everyone from the CEO of a company to a janitor is offered the opportunity to become a Christian.

        Paul confirms this in Titus 2:11, “For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men” God does not show partiality towards any one race. He convinced Peter of that in Acts 10 with the conversion of Cornelius; a gentile. In verses 34 and 35 Peter said, “In truth I perceive that God shows no partiality. But in every nation whoever fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him.”

        While he spoke, the Holy Spirit fell upon Cornelius and his household as a sign to the Jews that the gentiles would also be accepted. Peter spoke of this in verses 47 and 48, “Can anyone forbid water, that these should not be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?" And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then they asked him to stay a few days.




What Must I do to be Saved?

        On three different occasions this question was asked (Acts 2:37; 16:30; 22:10). The answer is always the same and it is the steps to becoming a Christian:

    1. Hear and Believe the gospel (Rom. 10:17; Jn. 8:24)
    2. Confess your faith in Christ (Mt. 10:22; Rom. 10:9-10)
    3. Repent of your sins (Lk. 13:3; 5; Acts 17:30)
    4. Be baptized for the remission of sins (Mk. 16:15-16; Acts 2:38)
    5. Live your life faithfully; unto death (Rom. 12:1-2; Rev. 2:10)

You can begin the New Year by become a new creation (2 Cor. 5:17); casting off the old man of sin and putting on the new man (Col. 3:9-10).


Conclusion

        Make this the year you decide to obey the gospel and live your life for Christ. If there’s anything I can do to help in your journey to becoming a Christian, feel free to contact me through this blog.

Yours in Christ,
Chris Mentzer



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There are No Material Possessions

Who Wrote the Bible?

The Death of Marriage