I Am a Child of God (A Christian)

 


Who Am I? Part 4

 

Introduction

I was born and raised in the denominations, “baptized” as an infant, and all that time I thought I was a Christian simply because I went to church and led a relatively good life.

But when I sat down and actually studied with someone, I realized that I wasn’t a Christian; even though I was “baptized” as a baby. There was more to it than just a little sprinkling of water.

 

Obedience to God

When I first moved out here to Arizona, I couldn’t believe the number of churches (denominations) that were in existence. I said to myself, “There is no way that all of these churches can be right.” Instead of looking for answers, I stopped going to church altogether. I didn’t understand that the bible had those answers. I assumed the bible was just another history book that covered information from Creation to the end of the first century more or less.

In September, 2001 I obeyed the gospel and became a New Testament Christian. It wasn’t difficult at all and since then I’ve been reading and studying the scriptures. Creating these articles and preaching sermons has helped me along the way.

Most out there in the religious world just assume that they are a Christian because they believe in God. They don’t really know God as the God of the bible is very different from what most believe.

In the previous article, we concluded with Jesus saying, “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven” (Matthew 7:21). This is where everyone seems to have a problem. If you want to be a Christian, you need to be subject to God’s Laws! Jesus said, "If you love Me, keep My commandments. (John 14:15)

 

Christians are Different

How often have you heard people claim that they love Jesus, but don’t abide in His teachings? (Jn. 8:31) They live their lives like everyone else in the world but, come Sunday morning, they put on their Christianity just like a new suit and behave in a “Godly manner”. Once church is over, they take the suit off and live the way they want to the other six days.

The apostle Paul wrote, Therefore “Come out from among them And be separate, says the Lord. Do not touch what is unclean, And I will receive you. I will be a Father to you, And you shall be My sons and daughters, Says the LORD Almighty.” (2 Corinthians 6:17-18)

We can’t live like the rest of the world and still consider ourselves to be God’s chosen people. As the apostle Peter wrote, But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light (1 Peter 2:9). Simply put, we need to be different; to stand out and apart from the rest of the world.

 

Christians are Heirs

If we say that God is our Father, then we need to respect Him as one. Our own parents teach us right from wrong; even discipline us when we are disobedient. How much more respect should we show our heavenly Father?

Through His word, He teaches us all things that pertain to life and godliness (2 Pet. 1:3). His word contains everything that we need to live our lives as Christians (2 Tim. 3:16-17).


As God is our Father, we are not only His children but His heirs. As Paul wrote, The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together. (Romans 8:16-17)

 

Conclusion

If you’re going to call yourself a child of God, you need be obedient to Him and His word. Otherwise, you’re just fooling yourself and others. As Paul wrote, Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. (Galatians 6:7) Don’t put off tomorrow what you can do today. Now is the time, now is the day of salvation (2 Cor. 6:2).

If you’re not sure where to begin, read some of my other articles or comment below and I’ll be happy to help you out. Start on the path of righteousness today!

 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

There are No Material Possessions

Who Wrote the Bible?

The Death of Marriage